The Public Relations Manager is a dedicated position supporting the Missouri Division of Tourism (MDT) account. The PR Manager manages relationships with the media community, proactively pitches stories to the media, and fields requests for information. The PR Manager should have a broad understanding of the media landscape and the best ways to position information for maximum impact. The role is also responsible for tracking and measuring the success of our PR efforts. The PR Manager reports to the Account Director for the Missouri Division of Tourism and the agency’s VP, Director of Public Relations. The position is located in St. Louis.
Broadly speaking, the PR Manager will do the following:
- Manage the strategic planning and execution of proactive earned media efforts on behalf of MDT, including developing editorial content calendars, media pitch materials, media lists, and results reports. In addition, the PR Manager will contribute to the development of content for MDT’s website, blog, and social media campaigns.
- Stay abreast of the latest developments in PR generally, and in tourism PR specifically, and present formally and informally on the status of the industry and on active PR campaigns of both MDT and its competitors. The PR Manager is also responsible for documenting results, policies, procedures, and best practices.
Other responsibilities include the following:
- Help develop comprehensive PR strategies based on business goals and objectives
- Proactively identify PR campaign objectives that complement the larger marketing campaign objectives, and measure success relative to those goals
- Develop recommendations for messaging, communications release schedules, and media monitoring plans
- Oversee PR campaign reporting, including alerting stakeholders about any perceived shifts in conversation
- Pitch stories and respond to media requests
- Maintain strong relationships with media
- Identify third-party experts and spokespeople for PR efforts
- Identify press tour opportunities and potential partnerships
- Identify, evaluate, and manage influencers who can contribute to MDT’s overall marketing efforts
- Develop and help execute media missions and media events
- Coordinate public relations efforts at tradeshows
- Manage vendor engagement, including media clipping and reporting services/contracts
- Manage a tourism-specific media database
- Research and evaluate competitors’ PR campaigns
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 3 years of professional PR experience
- Experience in consumer and lifestyle PR a plus
- Solid understanding of traditional PR and marketing strategies, goals, and objectives, and how they align with public relations strategies
- Solid media relations experience, including pitching and satisfying requests and identifying story angles
- Experience managing a broad range of PR campaigns, including branding, that have a variety of budgets and schedules
- Knowledge of digital marketing and PR, specifically in influencer marketing and digital platforms and outlets
- Active network of professional connections with journalists and media outlets
- A curious and creative mind
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Solution-oriented, highly motivated self-starter
- Ability to synthesize large amounts of data into actionable information and insights
- Ability to anticipate and prevent problems and present solutions
- Ability to handle multiple project assignments under tight deadlines and see a project through with minimal guidance
- Experience interacting with diverse personalities in a fast-paced creative environment
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE…
- Has an entrepreneurial spirit and understands how his or her work plays a role in H&L’s success
- Takes pride in owning a project from start to finish
- Is empathic and intuitive
- Strives for perfection and always follows up, just in case
- Has a great sense of humor and is very approachable
To apply, send resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Subject line: Public Relations Manager.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to provide an individual response to every candidate.
H&L Partners is a full-service, integrated agency made up of diverse, collaborative, multitalented individuals with experience in all areas of marketing communications. H&L Partners is based in Oakland, with offices in St. Louis, Phoenix, Chicago, Charlotte, Atlanta, and Miami.
To learn more about us, visit www.handlpartners.com.